Week 13: Literary Speculation

This week we are attempting to distinguish between writing in genre and writing that may use elements of genre but that is essentially literary. Discuss this question in relation to the work(s) you read for this week. Do you think this is an important or necessary distinction, or not? Is your experience of the text affected by these questions?

This week I read the short story, The Distance of the Moon by Italo Calvino. Whilst I read this story, I realized that it was a mixture of science fiction, fantasy but also prose. The structure, the descriptive and flowery language as well as the topic of the short story reminded me of poetry. If this piece was condensed, I could definitely see it as a piece of poetry. The genre of fantasy was most apparent as the narrator discusses traveling to the moon easily by "rowing out to sea" then climbing up the moon and collecting "moon milk" which almost resembled cheese. It also recounts how the narrator, Qfwfq, fell in love with the Captain's wife, Mrs. Vhd Vhd who fell in love with his deaf cousin, and when Qfwfq and Mrs. Vhd Vhd got stuck on the moon as it traveled farther, Mrs. Vhd Vhd chose to remain on the moon instead of returning back to Earth, because of her unrequited love. This story actually reminded me of a Chinese legend of Chang E Flying to the Moon, a story that is told during Chinese Mid Autumn Festival, where it recounts how a woman ended up being a "goddess" and staying on the moon.
I think that writing in genre and literary writing should have some sort of distinction, as it helps readers distinguish whether they may be interested in a novel or not. For example, I am personally not too big of a fan of sci-fi novels, however I am a big fan on fantasy, by distinguishing the two genres in a novel, I might be able to choose a book that is a better fit for me. I don't believe that my experience of this text is affected by these questions, as this short story leaned towards fantasy much more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6: A Rich Fantasy Life

Week 11: Cyberpunk and Steampunk